Ise Gropius (1899 – 1983) was not only Gropius’s wife, but also his partner. She worked out every detail of the house with him, providing perspectives and opinions on all aspect of the function and design. From the beginning of their marriage in 1923, Ise had taken on the role of “Mrs. Bauhaus,” helping to publicize and promote the school, and never expected to take a back seat to Gropius. Throughout their marriage, she was by Gropius’s side. Years later she remarked that she married not only the man, but also the school. After his death in 1969, Ise Gropius became a spokesperson for the Modern Movement and in 1977 arranged to donate the Lincoln house to Historic New England to serve as a teaching tool for future generations.