The set of dining room chairs, built for the Director’s House at the Dessau Bauhaus, consists of three sections of continuous chrome plated tubular steel with a “sleigh” base which facilitates mobility and canvas covers. While the chairs date from 1925, the custom canvas covers were custom-made for the Gropius House in 1973. In the summer of 1981, one chair from this set was exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art exhibition entitled Marcel Breuer: Furniture and Interiors. The circular dining table was also part of the original furnishings of the Directors’ House.
Photograph by John Russo.