Klassiche Architektur II
Alexander Schawinsky (1904-1979) made this semi-abstract composition in 1927 and gave it to Gropius in 1937. He was student in the Weimar Bauhaus in 1924 and acted as Oscar Schlemmer’s assistant. Schawinsky came to the United States in 1937 where he continued to paint and design exhibitions, theatrical sets, and posters. Xanti, as he was known, was among the Gropiuses’ dearest Bauhaus friends, and they remained close throughout their lives.