In 1921, Marcel Breuer enrolled as a student in the Bauhaus. Gropius immediately recognized Breuer’s talent and quickly promoted him to the head of the carpentry shop. The pair formed a close-knit friendship and working relationship that lasted for many years. At the Bauhaus, Breuer produced the furnishings and cabinetry for the Dessau Masters’ Houses. The Gropiuses specifically requested a tandem and equitably divided desk layout so that Walter and Ise could work side by side.
Photograph by John Russo.