Designed by Walter Gropius for his office in the Weimar Bauhaus, this piece of furniture is the oldest in the house. It was handcrafted in the woodwork shop of the Bauhaus school in 1923. This desk served Gropius well during the years in Weimar and Dessau until 1928 when he took it to Berlin for use in his architectural practice. Part of the desk, the four glass shelves and the wooden support brackets, on the right side, were broken in the transport to America and were never repaired or replaced. In 1938 when the family moved into the Lincoln house, twelve-year-old Ati chose to have this desk in her bedroom.